Date: 29th April 2012 at 11:13am
Written by:

Brentford put on a great performance throughout the game but still managed to come away with nothing to show for it.

It seems hard to believe that the team in the automatic promotion spot was so out-played by Brentford. The bees set up in a 5-4-1 formation with Harlee, Karleigh and Pim in the centre of defence with Bidwell and Logan out wide and pushing up. Douglas, Dave, Harry and Saunders in the middle and Clayton up front on his own.

Douglas hit the bar and Karleigh fluffed his shot in a goal mouth scramble but we paid for not going ahead when a 38 minute free kick to Wednesday out wide was fired at the near post and Moore fumbled the ball into his own net.

We had dominated the play and the chances created but went in one down.

The second half continued in the same vein. Brentford won a penalty when Beevers hacked at Donaldson in the box but Beevers escaped a second booking to the surprise of many. Donaldson took the penalty with a subtle lift of the ball over the keeper straight down the middle. Very brave!

To add insult to injury Beevers then hacked Forrester down and again wasn’t booked. The Wednesday management quickly subbed him knowing too well that they had rode their luck.

Soon after, Llera [who had been run ragged by Clayton most of the game] rose highest to head the winner from a corner.

We had some excellent chances ourselves in the second period. A curling shot just outside the box from Clayton was heading into the net when Bywater got his fingertips to send it round the post. Dave burst into the box and shot through Bywater whose legs managed to put the ball wide and Saunders had a free kick that by passed four on-rushing bees and just go wide of the far post. Karleigh missed a sitter from four yards out when he booted the ball over the bar.

Brentford: Moore; Logan (sub Norris 81 mins), Osborne, Dean, Pim (sub Bean 81 mins); Forrester (sub McGinn 75 mins), Douglas, Dave, Bidwell; Saunders; Donaldson

Subs (not used): Thompson, Legge